Tuesday, March 2, 2010

SOMALIA: Hujale Jama, "I never thought I would depend on anyone but look at me now"

SOMALIA: Hujale Jama, "I never thought I would depend on anyone but look at me now"

BOSASSO, 2 March 2010 (IRIN) - Prolonged and persistent droughts have drastically changed the fortunes of Hujale Jama, 80. Originally from the village of Has Wanaje, 480km east of Bosasso, commercial capital of the self-declared autonomous state of Puntland, Jama was once considered fairly well-off. Then the drought slowly decimated his livestock. Today, he lives with relatives in Bosasso, without any livestock to his name.

 Jama is one of thousands of people in Bosaso displaced by drought who have moved to urban centres where they depend on relatives. He spoke to IRIN in Bosasso:

 "Three years ago I had 600 heads of goats and sheep and more than 30 camels. I was a man of means and would be asked to help those with less. I was one of the leaders of my community and never needed help, I was the one helping.

 "Nowadays, I am the one asking people for help. I have seen many people lose all their animals but I never thought I would be one of them. It is not what I expected to be doing at my age. My livestock died one by one until there was nothing left.

 "Unfortunately I am not the only one suffering. Many people in this town were once herders but have since lost everything. The droughts are becoming longer and more devastating. When there was no pasture or water in our area we would move to another part of the country but all areas are now the same; no pasture no water.

 "If the situation continues like this, there will be no more people left in the countryside. The young ones can adjust and maybe find something to do but what is there for an old man like me? We are almost invisible; nobody is talking about rural people who are destitute.

 "Today I am sick but I don't have the money to go to the doctor. I never thought I would depend on anyone but look at me now. I used to be a respected man but I don't feel like a man.

 "What will I do? I cannot beg at my age."

No comments:

Post a Comment